Nowadays, everything is done online. Shopping, reading reviews, paying bills, and virtually everything else that we used to do in person or by mail have moved to the internet. For this reason, it is absolutely critical that small businesses have websites that keep customers engaged and interested. Equally important, is that the website is easy to use and intuitive so that site visitors aren’t frustrated when they can’t find the information they want.
In this article, we will:
- Take a look at the differences between website builders and website designers,
- Explain why small businesses should opt for a website builder rather than a website designer,
- Outline some of the best website builders available on the market.
What is the Difference Between Website Builders and Website Designers?
The main distinction between website builders and website designers is that website builders provide a customized template with which you can create your website, while website designers are people or companies who build and design all aspects of your website.
The best website builders have already figured out the hard parts of designing a website. Writing code and designing tricky features of a website are time-consuming tasks that take a great degree of skill to accomplish. Over time, website builders have worked out all the kinks and solved the issue of how to have a beautifully designed website with working links and all of the bells and whistles that come with a professional website.
To be fair, many website designers are excellent at what they do. They navigate through a creative and technical process to create your website from basically the ground up. However, these designers often experience issues throughout the process. They may have missed a line of code, or they may just not be able to figure out how to make a “must-have” feature on your website work. It’s not their fault, website design is hard!
But again, the best website builders have already overcome these problems and created the phenomenal website templates we see in use on the internet today.
Why Are Website Builders Better for Small Businesses?
There are 3 main reasons why website builders tend to be the better option for small businesses:
- Price. While it is not the only consideration to keep in mind, cost is certainly one of the most important factors when making decisions about a small business. Website builders are, on average, much less expensive than website designers. This makes sense when one considers the amount of time and effort that goes into the process of using a website builder template vs. having a web designer create everything.
- Customer Service and Support. Some web designers will be easy to get ahold of if you have problems with your website. But very often once they have delivered the final product it can be a lot of back and forth calling and emailing to try to triage the issue. With the best website builders, there is available customer support all day, every day. No matter what you need help with, friendly customer service representatives are ready to help you solve your issue so that you can get back up and running.
- Control Over the End Product. Website builders give you the freedom to customize and design your website yourself. Typically, this process will only take a day or two at most, and then your site will be ready to go live. You may have to tweak some features and move things around so that your site looks the way you want it to, but at the end of the process, you’ll have built your very own website without having to write a single line of code. Contrast this with a website designer, and it’s easy to see how little control you have over the process. Of course, you’ll tell them what you want and they are expected to follow through. However, in the end, they’ll be making most of the smaller decisions about where to place links, etc.
Which is The Best Website Builder?
So far, we’ve discussed the differences between website builders and web designers as well as the reasons why small businesses should consider using a website builder. We will now highlight some of the best website builders on the market.
- Wix.com. A service that has reached the top of many reviewers’ lists is Wix. It is considered by many to be the best website builder due to the ease of use, massive list of available templates, and the terrific SEO features.
- Squarespace. Squarespace is probably the most well-known website building service, but it is also arguably the best website builder. With multiple pricing tiers that are all extremely reasonable, some of the most beautiful website design templates, and easy blog options; anyone can see why Squarespace is at the top of most reviewers’ lists. Furthermore, if you listen to a lot of podcasts, you’ll often hear Squarespace promoted as an advertiser. These creative podcasters love Squarespace, as the service is excellent for artists who want a significant amount of freedom when building their websites.
- GoDaddy. A few years ago, GoDaddy seemed to have commercials and advertisements everywhere. They used extremely provocative techniques to sell their service and they gained a lot of traction in the market. However, their popularity was not solely due to their advertising campaigns, they also have one of the best website builders available. For more “bare-bones” sites that just want to convey simple information, GoDaddy is perfect. Building a site through GoDaddy takes no more than an hour or two at most, and small business owners love how intuitive the service is.
As you can see, when it comes to small business’s website needs, a website builder just makes sense. These services are easy to use and modify, have tons of available template options, and the customer service options are excellent. If you are a small business owner, a freelancer, or a single-member company; consider using a website builder to improve your online presence.
Choose the Best Website Builder for your Business
Is Wix any good?
Wix Website Builder Review When you’re starting a business or beginning a new hobby, you’ll often want to have an…
Disclosure: We are a professional review site that receives compensation from the companies whose products we review. We test each product thoroughly and give high marks to only the very best. We are independently owned and the opinions expressed here are our own.